SPS Athletics Releases Strength and Conditioning Protocols
Below are strength and conditioning protocols for Shawnee Public Schools Athletics.
PHASE ONE - June 9-12
Beginning June 9, we will use the Performance Course Program (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday). All workouts will be outside. HS Boys: 7:00am-8:30am, HS Girls: 9:00am-10:30am
Athletes may sign up at oklahoma.performancecourse.com (Cost $50.00)
GENERAL SUMMER PROTOCOLS FOR ALL FACILITIES:
- Social Distancing requirements must be followed. Face mask or cloth covering must be worn at all times by all coaches and athletes. Athletes must provide their own mask or cloth covering.
- Each person entering the facility must have their temperature checked and complete the participant screening form. Any person with a temperature of 100.4 degrees or above must not be permitted to stay.
- Hands must be washed or hand sanitizers must be used prior to entering a facility. Frequent hand washing will be encouraged.
- Physicals from last year will work for summer workouts. All athletes need to get a 2020-2021 physical prior to the beginning of fall practices.
- No outside organizations are allowed to use Shawnee Public Schools facilities.
- Fundraisers are permitted as long as they are held off campus.
- No scrimmages or youth camps allowed.
- No sharing hydrating bottles, towels, gloves or any other personal equipment is permitted. (Athletes must provide their own water bottle)
- Locker Rooms are off limits.
- Public restrooms must be sanitized before use and at the conclusion of the workouts.
- Coaches are being instructed that athletes who do not attend because they or their parents are not comfortable with the health risks will not receive any consequences or be held responsible in the future for non-participation.
- The protocols are fluid and may be revised at any time because of extenuating circumstances.
SPECIFIC FACILITY PROTOCOLS
WEIGHT ROOM (20-26 Athletes)
- 2 people maximum on any one piece of equipment.
- Spotters must wear a mask or cloth face covering.
- Social distancing requirements must be followed; the total number allowed in a weight room must comply with social distancing requirements (exception: a spotter should be permitted to safely spot)
- All weight equipment must be properly disinfected after each use.
GYM / INDOOR FACILITIES (12-18 Athletes)
- Any equipment used (weights, balls, helmets, bats, etc.) must be disinfected appropriately with use.
- No one-on-one or multiple athlete scrimmages allowed.
- Social distancing requirements must be followed; the total number allowed in a facility must comply with social distancing requirements.
OUTDOORS FACILITIES (20:1 Ratio)
- No sharing of helmets or any equipment worn on the head including face masks.
PHASE TWO - June 16-25
Shawnee Public School Coaches/Directors may begin limited sport/activity specific activities with high school level students using the provisions provided below. All individual programs must follow the normal OSSAA rules and procedures, as well as the following Shawnee Public Schools Guidelines.
The Performance Course Program will continue (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday). All workouts will be in the PFDC and outside. HS Boys: 7:00am-8:30am, HS Girls: 9:00am-10:30am.
PHASE THREE - July 06-31
Continue with Phase One and Two Summer Protocols with the following exceptions:
- Permission to host Youth Camps, Summer Leagues, Team camps (per OSSAA Regulations) and outside organizations use of facilities will be revisited before the start of Phase Three.
- Sports Skill Camps for Shawnee athletes may only take place as long as they are sanctioned by the OSSAA. Social distancing will need to be enforced.
- Tryouts are permitted (must follow OSSAA Policy for tryouts.) The tryouts must be completed before July 15, and tryouts will be closed to the public.
- Beginning on July 15, unrestricted practice may begin for Fast-pitch Softball, Cross Country, Volleyball, Marching Band, Cheer and Pom.
- All other summer activities shall be concluded on or before July 31st.